My Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

I Like Blue Eyes

"Hey babe?" Hayley asked as she uncovered a pot on the stove filled with something mysterious. "Tell me what you think: Every breakfast dish I've made from my new cookbook has turned out amazing, so when I came to a breakfast recipe in the book that had two awesome ingredients and one weird one, I was a little wary but I went ahead and got all the ingredients to make it. I was preparing it for breakfast for us tomorrow morning, but now I'm wondering if it's worth the effort because the one weird ingredient just seems so gross with the others."

"What's the weird ingredient?" questioned Brent.

"Endives," answered Hayley.

They both peered into the pot of steaming, blanched endives that were to be wrapped in ham slices, set in a casserole dish and sprinkled with cheddar cheese to be put in the oven. The endives looked nauseating, but maybe, just maybe, they would magically smell and taste more appetizing.

Brent submerged his nose into the pot and immediately sprang up, laughing, and said, "Nope, not worth the effort."

Hayley took a whiff as well and came to the same conclusion, pouring the blanched endives in the trash and preparing mentally for Plan B breakfast in the morning: the ever-faithful bacon and eggs.

"I really thought that the ham and cheese would make up for the weirdness of the endives," Hayley said. "But after smelling them I'm wondering, 'What were they thinking?" she exclaimed, referencing the cookbook authors.

Mimicking Hayley, Brent pretended to be considering a new recipe: "I like salt. The other ingredients are strange, but I like salt. I think the salt will make the whole dish something I like."

Hayley giggled and punched Brent's stomach, then Brent drew her in for one of those always-satisfying embraces. He said, "What were YOU thinking when you married me?" Then he kissed her on the cheek.

Hayley responded with a thoughtful look: "I like blue eyes...."

And the two burst out in laughter.

The end.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you two are SOOOO romantic. Hey, did the recipe have photos? I find the "endive" labeling two completely different things in the produce sections of the stores around here. What if you were using one that wasn't the real thing, just mislabeled or misunderstood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it didn't have pictures. I bought miniature heads-of-lettuce-looking things...I wonder if I totally missed what I was supposed to get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you guys!

    My word is "spits": what one does after tasting endives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hayley, i'm desparate... will you post something here about heather's little new one? i don't have fb but i want to know how she's doing and the little baby's name! ;)

    ReplyDelete