My Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ode to a Favorite Mixing Bowl

O bright cheerful mixing bowl, how you made me smile

How your perfect shape complemented my electric mixer,
to beat my eggwhites to stiff, creamy perfection!

How your beauty added some semblance of style
to my collection of serving dishes

How you brought gaiety to my table through the darkest of dinners

You served me well, O favorite one.

How shall I get on without you?

Excuse me...I need to find a handkerchief.

My beloved mixing bowl, given to me by my dear friend, Ashley Currie, as a wedding present from none other than Anthropologie, is in its last days. I was washing it in sudsy water and it accidentally slipped from my hands, falling with a thud on the sink bottom. When I brought it out of the water to mournfully inspect the damage, I found a long, thin thread of a crack on the inside of the bowl, and a shorter but wider crack on the outside.


Can you see it here, just under the rim?

If you look REALLY hard, you can see the long gray thread of the crack next to where I am pointing.

*sniff sniff*

I no longer feel safe using an electric mixer in it. I'm going to let it live out the rest of it's days peacefully, resting under the weight of nothing more than a salad until it goes.

In this case, I thought a memorial before the death would be appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. I share your pain. This is good preparation for when you have 4 kids helping you do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that mixing bowl still has many days. Now it just has character! We still have this old mug that my dad drank coffee out of every morning. It has a little scene of Yankee Doodle riding into town calling out "Maccaroni!" in a speech bubble. It is littered with cracks.
    But maybe you shouldn't use a mixer in in anymore... :(

    ReplyDelete