My Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Chicken & Basil Pasta


So this was last week's new recipe dinner. The recipe caught my eye as I was skimming through a coupon book mailed to me from Ralph's. It was a recipe next to a coupon for I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! margarine...and of course the recipe utilized ICBINB!, though I substituted the real deal. I will NEVER use margarine in cooking. Ever.

This recipe is definitely a keeper. It's not gourmet, but it's simple, comforting, healthy and refreshing. Brent loves it, I like it, it's a one pan meal...it's going in my recipe book!

4 tbsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! (or, if you have any self-respect, BUTTER)
1 lb thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (I just used plum tomatoes...Brent and I don't like the cherry ones)
1 3/4 chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
8 oz. whole grain spaghetti, cooked and drained
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Melt 2 tbsp butter in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook chicken, stirring occasionally, until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Set chicken aside. Melt remaining butter over medium heat and cook garlic 30 seconds. Cook tomatoes, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, basil and spaghetti; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Refrigerate any leftovers. Serves 4.

*Notes* It needs salt! A little bit does the trick. Also, the leftovers are just as good as the fresh cooked...trust me, we just had the leftovers for dinner tonight. :)

3 comments:

  1. WOW! That looks yummy. I completely agree with you about the butter thing. I was just seeing all the fresh basil on my porch and wondering what to do with it. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hayley!! We got home late last night and I had some leftover cooked cubed chicken but couldn't decide what to do with it...I came across your recipe and made it in a snap! Tasted great too!!

    ReplyDelete