My Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

(Re)Decorating

My entry way has been in need of a little love and attention. So the other week, I gave it some.

Entry way table before.

Entry way table after.

Now, I wouldn't usually be one to place enlarged portraits of myself in frames and adorn my home with them, but things get a little different when you live with an adoring husband. (I came home from a busy day out once to find my coffee table COVERED in printed black and white photos he had taken of me...the least I could do was frame one of them. :)

So basically, I didn't change much here, but the things I did change/add gave the first-view-after-you-enter-my-home a HUGE pop (I think). Much more mature looking. Kept the black and white kissy photo, took away the blue-hued kissy photo (that photo/frame under the red flower balls made it look mismotched in a bad way), kept the vase with the red candle but added blue flowers to the vase (you'll see why in a minute), and added the cute little bride and groom figurines (favors from the wedding we were in recently).


Paperwork shelf in entry way before.

Paperwork shelf in entry way after.

So, I know, I didn't fix the heart of the problem: hiding the messy paper work. Unfortunately, this is literally the only mail/paperwork filing "cabinet" we own...even though our mail/paperwork sticks out of it. We'll upgrade when we really feel the need to I guess.

Anyways, redecorating the top of the shelf REALLY makes a difference, making that part of our entry way feel like part of our home rather than an office. I moved the blue kissy photo/frame over there to complement the blue shelf, put a little shaded candle next to it with some blue ribbon around it to tie in the blue, then mixed red and blue hydrangea flowers in a pink vase. The pink vase makes the pink ribbons on the flowers balls look less lonely, the blue flowers complement the photo/frame (and the blue flowers in the vase on the other table tie that tabletop arrangement to the shelf arrangement), and the red flowers tie the shelf arrangement to the red flower balls.

I haven't yet found a home for the wrought iron candle holder I removed from the wall though...he looked so lonely and forsaken sitting over there without any candles in him, but now he looks even more depressed laying on his backside in my linen closet. Maybe he'll find a permanent home in my bathroom...I'm redoing that room next.

Grand view shot before.

Grand view shot after.

In case you were wondering, one of the many reasons my posts have been so few and far between is because I've been busy refurbishing my bedroom dressers in my spare time. This is a before shot of one of them. These were my childhood dressers; my parents let me take them when Brent and I got married. We were thinking that we would have them for a year or so and then buy our own bedroom set...but yeah...that ain't happening any time soon. So I'm doing the best I can to make them look like classy married couple's bedroom furniture...not 4 year old girl furniture. I'm 95% done with the painting, then I get to go to Anthropologie and pick out the perfect knobs! Stay tuned for results!

3 comments:

  1. It IS amazing what a difference small touches can make. I wonder if you could solve the problem with the filing shelves by just scattering a few limes around? You could also bring that wrought iron candle holder back out and hang some woodfish from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the dressers!

    ReplyDelete