My Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mourning

This week I put in 19 hours of (fun) difficult labor to make 75 Halloween sugar cookies for a friend's party last night. I made 25 bats, 25 spider webs and 25 jack-o-lantern pumpkins. They were OH SO CUTE. I even did a photo shoot of them before I wrapped them up in their treat bags so I could add them to my cookie portfolio.

Then today, oh the sadness...I found that the pictures had been deleted from our camera. Oh Brent, I know it was an accident, but it pains me so.

My only consolation is that I have this picture of the sugar cookies I made for my niece's duck-themed one-year birthday party.


I do have quite a few leftover "duds." Bats, webs and pumpkins where the frosting job didn't turn out quite as I had hoped...I suppose I could take pictures of those. Anyone interested in seeing them?

By the way, I LOVE making sugar cookies. If I could, I would work in a bakery and decorate sugar cookies for a living. My problem is that as it stands now, mass producing cookies is a problem area for me. How in the WORLD to bakeries do it? I spent 13 hours alone frosting the darn things. I've GOT to come up with a better method for frosting.

This time I didn't charge for the labor, I just asked for reimbursement for the supplies. Comes down to $0.40 per cookie. That was $30 for this order. But imagine, if I had charged for my labor as well, at the rate I currently get paid at Starbucks, I would have gotten $190. $190 for 75 cookies? Who's gonna go for that? I MUST get faster before I start charging.

Thanks for listening. It means so much to me. :)

4 comments:

  1. So sad! It would have been such fun seeing the webs and bats. The ducks are very cute, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see the duds too! Even those must look pretty, knowing your handywork. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. the other day i tried to post a comment and got an error... so i'm trying again!

    i bought a huge batch of sugar cookies for a baby shower a couple of years ago and they were pretty pricey... and they were PLAIN! no glaze/frosting/sprinkles. so i think you are on the right track with the prices... although going faster would be better, i think you get what you pay for. if someone wants delicious AND adorable, they have to pay.

    i wish you were nearby... i'm about to do another baby shower and i was considering the sugar cookie route again! let us see the duds anyway!

    ReplyDelete