My Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Cahuengas: A Letter of Explanation

Dear Reader,

Two close family members have come to me privately in the last day to lovingly express their alarm over some of the content of my last post, "How come Disneyland never gets old?" Specifically, the content surrounding cahuengas. I am afraid that there has been a gross misunderstanding here, and I need to ask your forgiveness for being extremely vague about the definition of a cahuenga. The two close family members were under the impression that Holly and I had defined cahuengas to be something acutely unmentionable, so very unmentionable that I will not repeat it here. I can assure you that lewd definition is NOT what we had in mind, and again, I am so sorry if my vagueness surrounding the subject of cahuengas caused your mind to lead you to a definition we did not intend.

"Cahuenga" was never explicitly defined in either Holly's mind or mine. The closest we ever got to a strict definition was that it was an African word for "buttocks." (Racy, I know.) However, we both promptly discarded that definition because it was far too exclusive. In my mind, a cahuenga is anything big, round and bulbus, so very big and round for its size that you are afraid it is going to explode. When you look at it, your mind thinks, "Ca-HOOON-ga!!!!"

My big toe is a cahuenga. So is the big red bulb of my bulb baster. I wish that when I squeezed the bulb of the bulb baster, it would make an old-fashioned car-honking noise that sounds like "Ca-HOOON-ga!!!"

{Interestingly enough, at Disneyland there are cars that go up and down Mainstreet that DO make that old-fashioned "Ca-HOOON-ga!!!!" honk, and Holly and I laughed so hard when we looked for the horn and it did, in fact, look just like the top of a bulb baster. The driver has to squeeze it to produce a honk. Perfect.}

Again, I apologize profusely if my earlier post caused your mind to wander somewhere completely uncomfortable and unmentionable. I would have just removed all references to cahuengas from my previous post, but I didn't know how many of you had already read it, and I felt that everyone who had read it deserved an explanation.

Love,
Hayley

2 comments:

  1. lllllllllllllll. I remember making mistakes like that Hayley, like you and your audience are in two COMPLETELY different places. SO embarrassing. Your definition makes perfect sense to me. I vote for putting it in the dictionary.

    ReplyDelete