My Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mammoth

Two weekends ago Brent and I joined my family and some friends in Mammoth for a weekend of playing in the snow. I think the above photo pretty much sums up our adrenaline experience with the snowy slopes.

And the next sums up the enjoyment we got out of it.

The most awesome sledding would profit from stringing 6-7 people together on two or three sleds and rushing down the hills in a train fashion. These trains were incidents that culminated in laughter, mangled bodies, and bruised tail bones. And then more laughter. Note the progression of the following four photos.

We see Harrison...
Uh-oh, no Harrison...
Mangled bodies...
Sorting out the wreckage.

Mom was a bit too hesitant for the probable devastation of the train sleds, so she slid down on her own a few times.

Me and my bestie.

Me and my BESTIE bestie.

We even made a snowman!

And with Brent around, playing with the camera was inevitable.
He got some cool portraits while the rest of us continued risking broken bones on the slopes.

Brent actually had me pose for this next one. When he gets inspired behind the camera, I will always and forever be his model.

When we got back to the cabin, I took a hot shower and got all refreshed and cozy. As I emerged from the steam-room I had created in the bathroom, Brent called me to look at the little doll of a niece we have. A little snow angel:

The snow angel turned into a happy snow bear.

Brent got a few nice shots of the family of three.

This is Rusty.

I like to think I became his best friend while we were in Mammoth together. He is a one year old lab that is full of energy and puppyish curiousity. I want a dog JUST LIKE HIM when I grow up. Or...when God provides and Brent says yes. :)

He was pooped after our snow adventures. He couldn't build up the courage to get on a sled with his Daddy, Eddie, but he always ran close behind Eddie as he slid down the mountain, barking all the way. Pooped out dogs are so...so...kissable...munchable. Snackable.
His people, Eddie and his wife, Angela, had to go to the pet store after the snow excursion to buy him some protective doggy boots, as his poor little paw-pads had become raw and a little bloody from romping around in the icy snow. He looked so stinkin' cute tromping awkwardly about the cabin in those silly boots. :) Should have gotten a video.

As Brent and I were driving home, he suddenly got inspired about twenty miles out of Mammoth to pull off the side of the road and take some shots of the magnificent mountains in the distance.


The above two pictures are accurate in coloring to what it looked like out there to the naked eye. But look what my brilliant husband can create by taking an HDR photograph and doing a bit of editing in Photoshop:


When Brent climbed out of the car with his camera, I climbed out with him. I picked a wildflower as he began shooting into the wildnerness, found a pretty rock and sat on it. And then I used all my feminine powers to be beautiful. A minute later, I hear Brent say, "You suck!!!" I look at him and he's pointing the camera right at me, taking shots of his wife.
"You always make me want to take pictures of YOU!!!" exclaimed Brent.
I responded with something to the effect of, "I'm just sittin' here, I can't help it if your camera is attracted to me."
I like it when Brent takes my picture. Is that vain?

After we got back into the car, we discussed with excitement our plans for becoming a photography team together. He wants me to help pose people when he takes portraits or family photos or wedding photos. In addition, he's going to train me in the ways of the camera so that someday I can be his second shooter.

I'm so proud of my hubby. He has really demonstrated that he is a natural at this photography business. I'm sure it's gonna be a second job for him someday.

1 comment:

  1. I love: Harrison's face in the first shot, your Mom SCOOTing herself, the wrinkles between Rusty's eyes, and my favorite shot for a shot's sake is Harrison striding, and the most beautiful shot for a shot's sake is you and barbed wire, looking straight at the camera. Good job, Brent!

    ReplyDelete