My Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

She Wasn't Lying.

A couple of days ago The Pioneer Woman blogged about making and trying this cake with a surprising ingredient for the first time. She liked it, she said it was really good. I was intrigued and couldn't wait for the chance to make it and try it myself.

The opportunity came upon me on Wednesday when my sister-in-law, Vika, and one of our mutual friends came over to my place for lunch. I made the cake (the easiest non-mix cake I've ever made) for them and waited until after they had tasted it to let them in on what was in the cake.

It was only after we were all groaning over how delicious the cake was that I let them know what the surprising main ingredient was.

Tomato soup. That's right. Two 10.75 oz cans of Campbell's Tomato Soup. The cake was delicious and didn't taste tomato soupy at all, just rich and full of spices complemented so well by the cream cheese frosting.

If you choose to make it yourself, I would recommend following The Pioneer Woman's advice and using scant measurements of the spices rather than the full measurements listed in the recipe. I skimped a little on the spices and the flavor was perfect.

1 comment:

  1. amazing! I would have never guessed tomato soup. I want to try a piece of that cake sometime.

    ReplyDelete