My Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kalamata Lemon Chicken

Let's see...it's been a while since I've posted a New Recipe of the Week. That's because while I was in Seattle, I didn't attempt any new dinner recipes, and I've only been home for three Saturdays since then, and two of them Brent and I spent out on an adventure. So here is the New Recipe from two Saturdays ago.

This was good.
I wouldn't say excellent, or even super good, only because the chicken turned out very dry. I was supposed to use chicken thighs, but because I usually associate chicken thighs with nasty quality Chinese food, I used chicken breasts. I'm tempted to try the dish again using chicken thighs because I think it might turn out more tender (would it? anyone know? please answer?), but Brent's opinion is that I should let the dish be, because, remember, I don't like chicken thighs.

I hope I grow out of that someday. I know many food-loving people who think that chicken thighs are the bomb. Let me try that again -- I know many food-loving people who think that chicken thighs are fantastic. (Saying "the bomb" just isn't me.)

Aside from the dry chicken, everything else about this was delicious. Neither Brent nor I had ever tried orzo before, but this first experience was a good one. I definitely am motivated to try more orzo recipes.

Without further adu, the recipe.

Kalamata Lemon Chicken
Madison Mayberry's recipe featured in the 2010 edition of MixingBowl.com Magazine

Ingredients
1 to 1 1/4 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup orzo
1/2 cup rinsed, pitted, and halved Kalamata olives (Um, I just used black olives...Kalamata olives are just so expensive. And...I sliced mine. Halved olives can be overpowering.)
1 14-oz can chicken broth
1/2 lemon, cut in wedges
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Greek seasoning blend (made my own with what I had on hand)
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil. Stir in orzo, olives, broth, lemon wedges, lemon juice, Greek seasoning, salt, and pepper.

Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Makes about 4 servings.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the SAME way about chicken thighs vs. breasts. They CAN be good, if done right. I've had them in a restaurant done right, but never tried making them myself. So, I offer this trick instead: To increase the flavor and moistness of a chicken breast, soak it overnight in salted water. Really salty water, a tablespoon or more. I've done it for a few hours and it works too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes.

    chicken thighs are the bomb DIGGETY! ;)

    you can get boneless, skinless ones, too. :) the meat is so tender and tasty.

    well, it's all in the preparation. i'm sure there are ways to make thighs tough or dry, but it's harder because of the way God made thighs. they are surrounded by much more fat and stuff. that might not sound good to you, but if you get the boneless, skinless variety, they are much for streamlined for the unwanted stuff.

    you might give this recipe a try again, on down the line, with thighs. :) only if your husband gives you the ok!

    ReplyDelete