My Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Life With George

A Compilation of Stories from Hayley's Time in the Hitzeroth House (Thus Far).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Snow Leopard

If you read the post entitled "The Perfect Date," you know that Brent and I bought Georgie a snow leopard as a little gift. I packed it in my carry-on with its head peaking out my bag, like this:
When Heather picked me up at the airport and I jumped in the car, Georgie was shy and quiet in the back seat. She said "Hi," very politely, but wouldn't talk otherwise. I put my purse on my lap so that the snow leopard would be in her plain view. I watched her and she spotted the furry guy even more quickly than I had suspected. She kept her anticipating eyes on it for a good 30 seconds before she interrupted Heather and my conversation with a question, "Um, mommy, what's that? What's that in Hayley's bag?"

I answered her, "Oh, it's a snow leopard!" I took it out of my purse and cuddled it. "Uncle Brent got it for me to give to you, but I think I wanna keep it!" (I was teasing, of course.)

Georgie didn't know that I was teasing so the poor thing slowly nodded her head in submission, with a look that said, "Of course. Go ahead and keep it. That makes perfect sense, I respect your wishes." She also gave me a lispy, "Yes."

Right away I told her that I was teasing and I handed the snow leopard to her. She cuddled him right away, and he's been a good friend of hers ever since.

When we got home, the first thing she did was to prepare a meal for her furry friends. Note the snow leopard in the stroller.

Thanks, Uncle Brent, for the snow leopard! (From Georgie.)

BTW, it took less than the car ride from the airport to home for Georgie to warm up to me. We've been best friends ever since. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dressing Up

Georgie has been loving digging through my clothes and finding something to wear. She'll find a shirt and say, "This looks like my size!" She'll sling it on in whatever way suits her and say "Oh Hayyyyyy-weeeeee, look at me!" If she feels particularly beautiful in whatever she's wearing she'll say, "It's my dream come true!"





What I didn't get on camera was her in the above outfit, with my blue silky robe around her shoulders as well. She was struggling with figuring out a way to adorn herself in the yards of silky fabric, until I helped her by gathering up the sleeves and putting her arms through it the right way. She got so proud and walked around as if she was wearing a ball gown.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Playful Georgie

There was one morning that I woke Georgie up and fed her breakfast, then I jumped in the shower and when I got out I found evidence of Georgie's busy playfulness.

I love how several puppies are stuffed in the box. I wonder what was going on here?

As I was going about my business one day, I heard Georgie say, "Look at me!" This is what I beheld when I looked:

I thought it was cute, so I took a picture. Then Heather saw what Georgie had done and and right away said, "Georgie! Get your feet out of there!" Turning to me, she said, "She twists the handles so tight that you can't get her out." This I thought was hilarious. That she had done this before, numerous times, and liked it so much that she had to do it again. And sure enough, when I helped her get out of her self-induced predicament, I found that she had twisted each handle several times before putting her feet through.

I heard Georgie working in the kitchen really hard for about 15 minutes, chattering about what she was doing all the way through. She kept saying something about having to do something with the vegetables. When she was finished and out of the kitchen, the counter tops looked like this:


Mind you, pre-Georgie, the fruits and vegetables were neatly organized in the now empty red and blue bowls.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smithers

The other day I was putting stuff away in Georgie's closet and noticed something out of place. What doesn't belong here?

Before I left to go fetch my camera Smithers had been laying on that red-lidded box quite contentedly. By the time I got back she was in this position.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hair Styling

I am loving playing with Georgie's hair. She looks darling in pigtails, braids and topsy-turvy pony tails.



Wish I had gotten pictures of the pig tails and topsy-turvy pony tail...I'll do them again and show ya later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Peanut

Never met a more snuggly baby. She's so precious to hold. When you hold her, you feel like you're holding a little lady, she's so small and delicate. She makes the most wonderful, precious noises, CONSTANTLY. Heather says she "squeaks and snuffles." She does. :) I love my little Liv.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gluten-Free Cooking

I've been doing all the cooking around here lately (heaven!). When I made my meal plan for the ten days I'd be up here, I was surprised at how many of my meals that I like to prepare for Brent and me are naturally gluten-free. So far I've only made one meal that needed a gluten-free substitute, and that was enchiladas. I had to use gluten-free flour in the enchilada sauce.

Heather asked me to try out a gluten-free pretzel recipe for her. They were a cinch and turned out delicious, even to one who is used to glutenful pretzels like myself! The recipe only makes four small soft pretzels, though, so I may have to double it next time. We're planning on making gluten-free pretzel hot dog twists sometime next week. I can't wait, they sound so delicious!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Further Observations/Georgie Quotes

Georgie: "I can help you roll the enchiwadas cause I'm a big sister!" Then "helping" me roll the enchiladas by squeezing my arms as I rolled them.

Georgie: I want to pway wif you.
Me: Oh, you want to pray with me? I'd LOVE to pray with you!
Georgie: No, pway. PWAY. PWAY! (Play.)

Georgie, scribbling something on a piece of paper: "K...L...G...O...Y...G...O...E...Y...A"
Heather: "What did you spell?"
Georgie's swift response: "Daddy!"

Georgie has made up a game where she complains to Heather or me: "Oh no! There's a badger here!" The only response that is suitable in her mind is for one of us to wave our hands and say "Shoo badger, go away!" So today, in the car, Georgie complained that there was something on her head! I looked back quickly and didn't see anything, so I said, "Shoo badger, go away!" Georgie looked disgusted and offended and said, "NO! It's not a badger! It's a PILLOW!" Sure enough, I looked back again and saw that a small baby pillow had, indeed, fallen on her head from the back of the car.

Georgie at the breakfast table: "I need help eating my eggs."
Me, taking her fork and feeding her: "Ok, I'll help you."
Georgie: "Sanks. It's a hard life."

Valet driver, standing next to the car while I buckled Georgie in her seat: "Do you like being a big sister?"
Georgie: "I sure am!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all for now, folks! More Georgie/Heather/Olivia stories/comments to come!

Next up...The Adventures in Getting 2nd Degree Burns While Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing and laughing! You replay it so well, it's like being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanks for that. Great post. It helps sooooo much to read writing from loved ones when there are miles between us!

    ReplyDelete